We believe strongly that what goes around, comes around and that we have a role in caring for, nourishing, and helping repair the world. We are a small and growing company, but nevertheless, feel fortunate to be in a position to leverage our resources including our space, wine, human capital, and energy for philanthropy. Since we opened in 2008, we have been giving away some of our wine, averaging about 10% of our production every year to a variety of causes. We also provide the facility for a variety of benefits at a discounted rate. Please read below ways that we are working with non-profit organizations.
Examples of past Barrels
for Benefit include:
Petra Nemcova/Luca Orlandi
Lewis Black for the 52nd
Chuck Close for the Bowery
Arts and Science
(An additional possible auction item, depending on the consent of the endorsee, would be the ability to win the chance to make wine with the Celebrity and City Winery’s winemaker in a one hour private blending session and private class – an extraordinary one-on-one experience.)
Barrels for Benefit
We all receive so many requests to help out good causes, often through donations to their auction events. City Winery has created a unique, fun and rewarding program that enables our investors and barrel owners to make a significant contribution, at no cost to themselves or the organization of their choice.
Here’s How it Works
1. The non-profit organization helps arrange for a Celebrity, Chef, Musician, key person associated with the charity, etc., to endorse a barrel of wine, and to sign custom wine labels.
2. The organization will receive 240 bottles (20 cases) of high quality City Winery-produced wine with custom labels signed by the endorsee. They can sell or auction the whole barrel, each case or each bottle.
3. Depending on the endorsee and the organization’s patrons, the wine is expected to sell for at least $100 per bottle, a gross of $24,000.
4. City Winery will provide the wine, bottling, custom labeling, storage and shipping. The cost of the wine will be subtracted from the proceeds of the sale. The organization has no upfront costs.
5. Labels can be created, signed and sold or auctioned before the wine is bottled.
Auction Item Donations
We know the importance of donated items—especially unique ones like a private wine tasting or tour of our winery—in the success of your auction fundraiser! We often donate items to help organizations meet their fundraising needs. See the info listed below regarding any donation requests.
Hosting Events With Us
We love working with not-for-profit organizations to help their dream benefit gala or other event happen in our unique space. Contact our Private Events Department to learn more about hosting an event at City Winery.
While we are a small operation and work hard to produce high quality wines, we know the importance and cost to organizations of finding a good sponsor for fundraising events. If interested in a wine sponsorship, please contact email@example.com
Looking for an auction donation or sponsorship? Click here to fill out our request form:
- Charities we have worked with include:
- Gilda's Club
- Dana & Christopher Reeve Foundation
- American Jewish World Services
- NY Air Society
- ELEM - Youth in Distress in Israel Bang On A Can
- National Coalition Against Censorship
- Stuart C. Gruskin Family Foundation
- Jewish Funds for Justice Sallie Foundation
- Bpeace (Business Council for Peace)
- Common Cents
- American Jewish Committee
- Schools we have worked with include:
- Montessori School of Manhattan
- Village Community School
- Washington Market School
- PS 116
- Blue School (affiliated with The Blue Man Group)
- Millennium High School